An extended essay is a type of academic writing assignment, which success depends on the structure. Except for selecting a topic, researching, and pinning down the main question, it is critical to decide on the structure as an extended essay has to be long. The best way is to look through some great extended essay examples. Break down the content into many subtopics to make it easier for the target audience to follow the logical flow of thoughts.
In case this article does not give the answers to all questions, find this professional online writing website helpful when it comes to completing homework assignments!
What Is an Extended Essay?
“What is an extended essay?” To begin with, it is necessary to form the most appropriate extended definition essay. An extended definition essay would be: A type of academic assignment, which represents an independent author’s piece of research of approximately 4,000 words. It is an integral part of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. It means a student will not get his Bachelor degree without a successfully written 4,000-word research on the chosen narrow topic. Thus, it is more than a lengthy university essay.
It is the best expert reply to the question, “What is extended essay and why is it important to get ready for the extended essay’s submission?” The next sections explain how to write an extended essay and offer some original extended essay examples. Get ready to face the exam!
How to Write an Extended Essay?
We have answered “what is an extended essay” question; before we focus on the components of an extended essay, mind the grading rubric. The International Baccalaureate graders evaluate this type of academic writing by using a scale from zero to 36. The obtained score is connected with a band.
- A – perfect level
- B – good work
- C – satisfied the main requirements
- D –mediocre standard
- E –elementary level (the worst one)
An IB extended essay implies:
- Practical preparation for undergraduate study
- A chance to research a specific problem also related to 1 of the 6 Diploma Programme subjects
Extended Essay Outline
How does an extended essay outline look like? 3 popular approaches to developing an extended essay exist, and it is up to a student to select the one he/she prefers.
Post it Note Outline: Go small in the beginning and increase outwards afterward.
Prepare a summary of every paragraph and try to include it in a single line.
Extend the abstract of every paragraph with the help of a couple more bullet points:
- Supporting evidence such as facts, statistics, and in-text citations retrieved from the collected sources
- Explain how particular examples illustrate the main point
- Make it more large-scale using extra opinions or suggestions that are related to the general point behind it
Spreadsheet Outline: A less known method, which makes it possible to simply compare sections regarding their size and text by diving every paragraph into the clear parts. That is how your Excel document may look:
Why would a student benefit from such approach? It is simple to apply this one to modify the headings and rearrange the order of the different sections without having to copy-paste and rewrite anything. A user may tailor the columns to Excel based on the relevant categories. Feel free to use Excel’s colors and other ways to categorize things to make it a doddle.
The last method a student should try is a post-it note outline:
Post-it Not Outline
Put down all the ideas to include in the extended essay on special cards. Such information must consist of the relevant arguments, quotations, data, statistics, facts, etc.)
Combine the supporting evidence with the author’s selected ideas to understand which evidence backs up certain opinions.
Apply a wall or a separate piece of paper. In case a student has no idea where to begin, make the best guess at an order that might be appropriate for the prepared cards. Capture the image of the final outcomes and reshuffle it. In the end, a writer will come up with several great ideas on how to structure the extended essay but pick the one, which looks the most relevant.
How to Write Extended Essay Introduction?
What are some of the things to understand how to write extended essay introduction? In the introduction part, explain what a target audience can expect from the extended essay and make clear the primary goal of your writing, the scope of the study (sources a writer plans to apply), and insight into the argument.
The writers must possess a sense of the direction and main focus. In separate cases, it is possible to conclude the introduction part after completing the rest of the essay, which is its body paragraphs and conclusion. In the body, include the following information:
- Research analysis
Extended Essay Conclusion
An extended essay conclusion covers the things that have been achieved. Those are notes of any restrictions and unanswered questions. One way is to come up with the outcomes based on the results of the study, but it is critical to obtain a final summarizing conclusion as the last sentence(s).
Extended Essay Format
The next thing to discuss is an extended essay format. This type of academic writing has a similar format that many other types of essays have.
- Use 12-point readable font (the best options are Times New Roman & Arial);
- Provide double-spacing across the whole extended essay;
- Do not forget to insert page numbers in the top-right corner;
- Do not include a name of the institution or student on the cover/title page/headers.
John Galt, a university Literature professor and grader at WriteMyPaper4Me
One of the most important elements is a title page. It makes an IB extended essay stand out from the rest of the academic assignments.
Title Page in an IB Extended Essay
A student should add the offered details to the title page:
Word Count – The upper limit is 4,000 words for the essays of this type
The graders have specific instructions to avoid reading or evaluation any details in excess of the word evaluation criteria. Because of the accepted standards and assessment criteria, those who will write more than the required length will self-penalize across all criteria.
Extended Essay Examples
Those are the best IB extended essay examples. Look for the corresponding information on the internet to practice writing.
- Chemistry: Compare the Iron Intake Diets in Particular Region
- Biology: Find out whether a Single-Hour Light Pulses Used While Having a Night Shift Are the Phase of Circadian Rhythms in Siberian Hamsters
- English Language: Why Has Sylvia Plath Applied Inanimate Objects as Motifs in Her “The Bell Jar?”
- Math: Alhazen’s Billiard Task
20 Original Extended Essay Topics to Think about
Check the list of the extended essay topics to decide on the final title.
Extended Definition Essay Topics
- The essence of humanism
- The role of home in life of each human
- Ways to define pantomime
- Explaining who a jerk is
- Defining beauty
In this article, a student may learn more about writing a definition essay on any topic.
IB Extended Essay Topics
- Symbolism in Victorian poetry
- Motivations of the conspirators that participated in the bomb plot of July 1944 to assassinate Hitler
- The correlation between the ongoing and repulsive force when lifting an aluminum ring with the help of electromagnetically induced levitation
- To what extent are Shakespeare's plays universal in time with special reference to Matthew Warchus' production of the Winter's Tale?
- The Relationship Between Soil Properties and the Development of Grape Vines
Visual Arts Extended Essay Topics
- Renaissance Art and its representatives
- An analysis of African impact on Henry Moore
- Klimt’s use of gold
- The ways Wassily Kandinsky used colors
- The significance and purposes of Bauhaus genre
Computer Science Extended Essay Topics
- The effect of human liability on Internet Security
- In-depth analysis of Cloud-based systems
- Compare Windows and Unix based on their kernel variation
- MP3 data compression algorithms
- Abstract data structures
Those are 20 top recommended topics in 4 interesting categories depending on the college major. Come up with more ideas and share them with other candidates. If the topics seem too complicated, turn to the professional online essay writing help that will solve any IB assignment the way graders need it.