Friedrich Nietzsche, Vladimir Lenin, Karl Marx, and Aristotle – what do these people have in common? They were distinguished philosophers who knew how to write a philosophy paper to attract audience’s attention. It is a less popular science nowadays. It does not mean great philosophers are not demanded. Students who study this subject must learn how to write a good philosophy paper to impress their professors, parents, and peers. It is a chance to become a famous author or politician one day!
Learning how to work on an academic essay is full of potholes. If a student wants to avoid problems with his/her teacher, he/she has a unique opportunity to order a position paper from the advanced writing team without leaving home!
What is a Philosophy Paper?
This guide explains how to write a philosophy paper for dummies and experienced authors. Every student should know the answer to the question, “What is a philosophy paper?” An assignment of this type includes the reasoned defense of the particular claim (argument). Building an argument to defend is the initial stage of the writing process. A student should do broad research to find a good idea to discuss. The essay should not contain the mere report of the student’s thoughts, nor a mere report of the opinions expressed by other authors. It is important to prove each claim a student makes. Come up with a good reason to make the reader believe your words.
It is not enough to say something like, “My thought is N.” The opening lines should sound this way: “My opinion is N. I insist on this position because…” One more good start would be, “I think the following considerations…serve as a convincing proof of my position.” “Aristotle says…” It is an incomplete sentence. Try making it reasonable. “Aristotle tries to prove M, but I will check it with the offered thought-experiment to convince the audience that M is false.” It might be difficult to oppose famous philosophers. If a student manages to do that, he/she will obtain the highest grade. Teacher’s appreciation is worth trying too.
How to Write a Philosophy Paper: Basic Hints
Writing thesis is the primary step to success. That is why it is necessary to learn how to develop a thesis for an academic project. The next sections of such assignment are equally important, and a student should be ready to provide defense assuming the audience may have an opposite position regarding the chosen topic.
It might be a challenge. These writing tips will help to understand how to compose a research paper and survive the process of the best assignment selection. A school graduate may need it to enter college.
- The clue to successful writing is the answer to the question, “How to start a paper?” A student may enter the conversation with the help of a hook sentence, or move straight to the point. A hook increases the chances of converting the audience to reading.
- A good research paper should sound modest. Do not try to accomplish many things in a single essay – do not make it hard to read and understand. It is better to include fewer ideas than a lot of them.
- Remain original: prove the deep understanding of the study material by thinking critically during the process of writing. The great idea is to offer a personal theory about the topic.
- It is critical to discuss the problems of your interest with people around to make a content objective. Do not forget to turn to the primary sources. Pick different books, journals, magazines, and scholarly articles related to the topic to collect the top ideas.
How to Write a Thesis for a Paper to Grab Reader’s Attention?
It is necessary to understand the goals of the assignment to realize how to write a philosophy of life paper. Once an author is done with the thesis, he/she should consider the following:
- Criticize the claim or stress that some arguments for the thesis are weak;
- Find a defense versus the criticism of other sides;
- Come up with the meaningful reasons to support the thesis statement;
- Do not forget to include several counter-examples to the thesis;
- Compare & contrast the weak and strong points of a couple of opposing opinions about the offered thesis;
- Make the thesis more plausible with the help of examples;
- Discuss whether some philosophers are committed to the claim by personal opinions (they do not explicitly endorse the claim);
- Think about what would happen if the thesis were true;
- Proofread and edit the thesis using some objection.
How to Write a Philosophy Paper Outline?
It was proved a good outline is 80% of the excellent research work. The clarity of any essay depends on the structure, and many young students wonder how to prepare a paper outline. An outline looks like most of the research project outlines. The size of the outline depends on the volume of student’s work: a project of five pages will require an outline made of one page.
- Background information (defining terms and parameters)
- The primary reason why students should get enrolled in studying sociology
- 2nd reason why students should get enrolled in studying sociology
- The final sound reason why should get enrolled in studying sociology
How to Write an Introduction for a Philosophy Paper?
We have discussed how to develop a thesis statement for a paper. It is time to explore how to develop an introduction for a philosophy paper. Do not forget to include these elements: the intriguing question to drive the discussion, the position an author plans to take regarding the offered problem, and the way the work will argue the offered position. Make it clear, concise, and challenging.
What Should a Body Contain?
In the body of your work, include the following elements:
- Support/Evidence from other philosophers
- Anticipated objections
- Denial of objections
- Transition to the following argument (find the list of transition words online)
How to Write a Conclusion for a Philosophy Paper?
We are almost done with the structure! The question left is how to write a conclusion for a philosophy paper to leave the reader impressed. A powerful conclusion can guarantee positive feedback. Start with paraphrasing the thesis statement. Recall the arguments from the body paragraphs one-by-one (it would be a summary) and end up by involving a rhetorical question or personal forecasts about the topic.
Which Philosophy Paper Format to Choose?
How about taking some time to explore the paper format? It depends on the college/university: while Harvard may ask students to use only its writing style manual, Oxford may insist on formatting each assignment using its writing style guide. In most cases, students apply APA format to cite and reference essays. An example of APA citation would be: Mustaine, T. G., Fox, D. F., & Monroe, K. J. (2015). Teaching native speakers to recognize foreign-accented speech. Journal of Multilingual Development, 18(3), 114-137.
To check whether the work matches the requirements, download and study the corresponding writing style manual online or use free templates.
How to Write a Nursing Philosophy Paper?
One of the most popular topics refers to the field of healthcare and medicine. In this small section, we will discuss how to create a nursing paper on a college or university level.
Start with an exposition. Continue by providing the main argument of the research work. Next, come up with a powerful counter-argument and do not forget to include a worthy response to it - the introduction comes once you are done with these things. Leave conclusion to the end. Many students forget to add a full list of references (bibliography) after the conclusion, so dedicate a single page to it ahead.
An example of the philosophical nursing essay could start this way: “The Texas Board of Nursing offers several criteria which every registered nurse should stick to in order to meet the field requirements. According to the Texas Board of nursing (2015), … continue.
15 Eye-Catching Philosophy Paper Topics
Before we finish this article, look at the list of some good topics. Choose wisely! Evaluate personal knowledge about the subject or problems and the number of available resources online/in the college library.
Pick Political Philosophy Paper Topics!
Political topics can make a worthy presidential candidate out of a student!
- Human Rights
- Economic Justice & Justice for All
- Discussing the Balance between War & Peace
- The Social Contract
- The Gaps of Democratic Regime
Philosophy Paper on Abortion
Paper on abortion might be tricky & sensitive – watch out!
- A Defense on Abortion
- Ethical Aspects of Abortion
- Anti-Abortion Argumentative Essay
- The Consequences of Becoming Young Mom
- The Arguments of People Who Support Abortion (What is the Role of Such Doctors?)
Easy Philosophy Topics
What about some easy philosophy topics?
- Comparing Political & Legal Sciences
- The US Wave of Philosophic Movement
- The Philosophical Judgments of the Christians
- Ancient Greek & Roman Philosophers
- Neurophilosophy & Psychology
How to Write a Philosophy Paper Example?
One more thing a student may need is how to come up with a philosophy paper example. An example or template speeds up the writing process. To get one, go online and discover one of the great samples on our professional academic writing website. You may choose to let the author from our team to prepare an essay written from scratch!