Submitting a winning essay is a complex task. It’s something all students need to do in many courses and subjects because this written assignment makes a big portion of their final grades. That’s why it’s incredibly intimidating. What is a term paper? You should have a clear understanding of how to write a term paper to impress teachers and earn the grades you deserve.
What is a term paper?
What is a term paper? It’s a common question that many students ask and they should know that they must prepare this piece of writing at the end of any semester or course. This essay helps teachers evaluate the knowledge of their students. It’s usually a discussion of any assigned subject or a scientific report that requires a lot of technical expertise and research. Ensure that your essay reflects your knowledge.
How to write a term paper? Use these basic tips to get an answer to this question:
- Pick a broad issue to focus on;
- Narrow it down to a more specific idea;
- Define a general objective of your assignment;
- Conduct your preliminary literature review to write a bibliography page of used materials in the right formatting style;
- Create a helpful outline;
- Search for available sources and write down all relevant facts in your own words;
- Write the first draft of your paper;
- Proofread and edit your final draft before submitting it before a due date.
Detailed guidelines on what to include
Writing a term paper isn’t an easy task, but if you follow these simple guidelines, they’ll help you a lot:
- Research and investigate (look for useful examples or interesting ideas that you can use for your assignment);
- Synthesize (take the information you find and analyze it to make specific patterns or connections evident to every reader);
- Organize (provide all the materials that you have with a structure);
- Analyze (present strong evidence to support your statements);
- Classify (ensure that your research is clear and valuable);
- Examine (indicate how your subject fits into a broader context, related to alternate fields, or have any historical significance);
- Select and distill (look at your materials and get rid of everything unnecessary);
- Pick a point of view (indicate how evidence back up your arguments).
How to format your draft?
Aside from a catchy title that states what your piece of writing is all about, consider other basic parts and learn how to write an outline for a term paper:
- An introductory section (share your thesis statement, objective, research approach, and analysis);
- Body paragraphs (give a discussion of sources and analyze valuable information to support your stance);
- A concluding part (sum up your analysis and discuss conclusions, findings, and further research);
- References (list all of your sources in the requested format).
Planning all paragraphs
When creating a plan of your academic assignment, keep these basic steps in mind:
- Establish your subject and reasoning of its importance;
- State your thesis;
- Tell readers why your research material is relevant;
- Determine the organization of all sections.
How to prepare to write?
If you wonder how to write a history term paper, start with choosing a good topic by doing the following:
- Pick the subject that interest you and gets you excited;
- Check something broader and find a narrower perspective.
Once you settle on a unique idea, consider it as a certain problem or question to focus your research and write your paper in an intriguing manner. Conduct your research methodically and refer to credible sources.
When looking for suitable materials, choose only updated and reliable information. Read general sources, both secondary and primary, about your theme and use their references to find out more about it. Excellent primary sources include journals, books, and different professional documents. When conducting your research, use these simple tips to succeed:
- Keep a bibliography;
- Take notes;
- Organize all materials.