It's not that easy to persuade people. That is why a persuasive college essay writing is one of the most complicated, time-consuming, and challenging assignment a student may ever face. Study the features from experts to see how to create this essay.
The main factor which makes a persuasive essay in English stand out from the rest of assignments is the usage of reasoning. It means collecting evidence to support each argument. The goal of the author is to encourage the target audience to agree with his argument or act in an offered way. Other goals include the demonstration of great research skills and deep knowledge of the subject. There are 3 features of a good job.
- Sound logic
- Solid reasoning (factual evidence retrieved from the primary resources to support the argument)
- Expertise in the certain field and outstanding writing abilities
Writing a persuasive paper is a difficult job, so this article provides effective tips that college and high school students may use. Are you ready to study how to compose a powerful essay thanks to the tips shared in this guide by the skilled English students and educators?
Persuasive Essay Definition
Start with the definition. It is an academic paper that aims to interpret the meaning of a specific topic to prove the author’s viewpoint to the audience and make it accept the same position. Three features are required to succeed.
- Most informed point of view
- The logical flow of thoughts
- Valid perspective on the problem
If you have mastered argumentative essay writing, it will be simpler to get how to write a college level paper. These two are similar. The difference is a student has to state the position without defending it and proving anything in the argumentative essay. It makes another type of assignment more complicated. Persuasive speeches are also a common assignment, and students often ask themselves a question "how to write a speech".
Persuasive vs argumentative essayStudents often perceive pesuasive and argumentative essays as the same type of writing. However, it is not really so, and there is a difference between these essay types. In the argumentative essay, the write presents different arguments in suport or agains the particular topic. Ont the other hand, the purpose of the wiiter in persuasive essay is not only to present arguments but also to convince the reader that the writer's opinion is the only right one.
The Essay Structure: Introduction, Body Paragraphs, Conclusion
This type of work is similar to other academic essays, but it's still recommended to make an outline before composing an argumentative essay. Do it even if the prompt does not require it.
A well-organized document will have three critical elements:
- Introduction paragraph
- Body paragraphs (tutors recommend 3 of them)
- Conclusion paragraph
It depends on whether you are working on an essay or a research paper. How to make an outline if you deal with this essay? It has more sections.
- Title page
- Results & Discussion
6 Prewriting Steps with Persuasive Essay Sample
While trying to understand how to create a paper step by step, students can miss another critical activity. Follow these tips to get ready to face the challenge!
- Choose your position on the topic offered by your teacher or selected independently. It is not enough to decide on the essay's topic. For example, writing on abortion is a perfect subject in case your teacher did not assign a specific topic to discuss.
- Define the target audience. Knowing your readers is quite important while selecting the voice, language, arguments, and strategies to convince. Initially, it's time to choose whether the reading audience is for or against your argument?
- Set the purpose. The purpose of any work is always to convince its readers to accept the author's positions.
- Dedicate time to research. Conduct primary or secondary research on the purposes of your document.
- Read relevant, up-to-date online and printed resources; talk to the parents and teachers to find out more information. It is necessary to take notes all the time.
- Think about the most convincing evidence along with the key points of the opposing view you can reject.
Look at this sample to learn how to create all the paragraphs of a persuasive essay: the introduction, body, and conclusion of an excellent essay writing.
How to Write a Persuasive Essay
How to create a strong persuasive essay? Get inspired by the fresh ideas online, from the books, exploring essays of other people, and downloading samples of essays. Use the ideas of the world's recognized authors. Try to convince your readers of the truth of your argument.
Organizing Effective Paper's Structure
In your introduction paragraph, introduce the topic and provide meaningful background information. State your argument in the thesis statement that comes in the end of the introductory paragraph. To grab the reader's attention from the opening line, students are encouraged to start with the hook, which can be:
- Interesting fact
- Metaphor or simile
- Bold statement
- Provocative question
Perhaps, the best ways to attract the reader to your essay are interesting facts, figures, contradictions, etc. If you use rhetorical questions, there is no need to provide the answer in your text. Other questions must be answered in the essay's concluding paragraph. If you wonder how to compose a conclusion for an essay, begin with the inspiring sentence or finish the paper with it. Leave the impression on your reader!
Once you enclose your opening paragraph with a clear thesis, move to the body paragraphs. Readers want to hear strong supporting points. Begin each paragraph with the one. Provide 2-5 arguments on a draft during the research process in order to choose the best ideas as your points later. Focus all the paragraphs only on supporting the argument. Add the evidence like direct and indirect in-text citations from the chosen sources to prove that your ideas make sense. Your audience wants to learn the opposing points as well - provide a minimum one argument which contradicts the idea of your essay.
Your conclusion paragraph is a summary of all the points; paraphrase your thesis to include it at the beginning of the concluding paragraph. Paraphrase every argument from body paragraphs instead of simply copying the information. Support your position with the final call to action sentence which aims to make the readers go on exploring additional data on the issue.
Thesis statement is an important part of every paper as it is a single sentence that expresses the idea of the whole paper. Sit down and come up with the thesis statement before composing the introduction to your persuasive essay. How to formulate a thesis for a persuasive essay? Choose a strong argument which defends only one of the existing positions. Make sure that the thesis statement is paper specific and expresses your opininion regarding the discussed issue. A great example of argumentative essay thesis might be:
"Government should monitor the number of abortions because it's a crime."A bad one would sound like this: "Abortions might be compared to crime despite women have a right to do that if they don't have conditions good enough for upbringing a child. It is hard to see what the government should do with this issue."
Do not write from a first person throughout the persuasive essay (it relates to every single paragraph). It’s best to avoid using a first person in such papers since it’s a sign of a poor writing style.
2. Main bodyBody is the biggest part of the essay. It should consist of at least three paragraphs. Here you should provide all your arguments and main ideas. However, make sure that al the ideas you present shuld be relaed to thesis statement. Also, do not discuss more that one main idea in the paragrap if you do not want it to look messy. Maid body paragraphs for thr persuasive essay should look as follows:
- argument 1
- argument 2
From the above list you can see that in the first two paragraphs of your persuasive essay body you should present at least two arguments to defend your position. In the third paragraph present the main contrargument and explain why regardless of it your position is better.
3. ConclusionIn the conclusion part restate your thesis statement but do not copy paste it. Then, provide a short summary of your main ideas and arguments. Again, do not repeat all your ideas, synthesize them. After this, demonstrate once again why your position is right. Finish your paper with a concluding sentence that summarizes the whole paper and answers the So-what? question.
Conclusion is the final part of the paper that summarizes the ideas previously discussed in paper. Thus make sure to avoid:
- introducing new ideas
- adding in-text ciations tha present new ideas
- providing facts that contradict or undermine the ideas and arguments provided in paper.
How to Write a Hook for a Strong Essay?
Many students wonder how to start an essay so that a tutor will read it from cover to cover. It increases the chances to earn a high grade. The best idea is to involve an interesting sentence. These are just several types:
- Rhetorical question
- Other literary devices
Those are successful ways to attract the attention of your reader. The hook should correspond to the persuasive essay topics. A student should not joke in case a sensitive topic like gender discrimination, or abortion is the main theme of the paper. A question is better in such a situation.
Transitional Words for Persuasive Essays
Look at our infographic to realize the different types of transitions. They can be just separate or entire phrases.
Top Transitional Words for Persuasive Essay
Transitional, or linking words are one of the ways to connect sentences and paragraphs. Insert these transitions and phrases to show the logic. Each time you start a new paragraph, start with one of the offered examples to build a bridge between different ideas. A reader will not get the key point without them!
Preferred Persuasive Essay Format
A paper format is something that predetermines the paper’s plan. It helps to make the writer’s position solid. As for the English format, simply download a guide on academic paper formatting.
The most popular writing styles are MLA, APA, Chicago, and Turabian. Students prepare papers using these formats for their Literature, History, and other humanitarian classes. Thus, there is no need to view the last versions of IEEE, CME, or ACS styles which are used to format documents in precise science and technical disciplines.
There are many examples of a proper format. The best place to keep in mind is an online English writing lab called Purdue OWL. It contains explanations, instructions, and examples of each academic style.
The following sample written in English is a tool you may use as a template to develop an excellent academic paper.
Choosing essay persuasive topics
Whether you are interested in how to write a clear paper for middle school or college, you have to start with the topic. Analyze the middle school topics and controversial topics to have an idea of the best titles. If you have not found the topic you like, check out some of the others topics online.
Middle School Persuasive Essay Topics
- The US must have a free health care system
- Immigration laws should be reformed for the Mexicans
- It is a wonderful idea to lower the voting age in the US
- A year of community service is a must for every US citizen
- The elderly should be provided with the free use of public transport
- Females must have a right to take part in bits sports
- Wearing a seat-belt has to be illegal everywhere
- Music with filthy language must be forbidden at school dances and prom
- It is up to the girls to obtain birth control without the parent’s permission
- A silent prayer time has to be introduced in every high school
Controversial Persuasive Essay Topics
- There is nothing wrong about polygamy
- The United Kingdom is a surveillance community based on the high level of regulation and private life violation
- Abolishment of the jury (when it is wrong)
- Specific weapons aimed to destroy one nation and leave others untouched
- Islamic economics & capitalism
- A non-college education for better income opportunities
- The merits of genetically modified organisms
- Is torture a helpful interrogation instrument?
- What are the adverse effects of having a lesbian mom?
- How can stem cells be used to treat various diseases?
- The modern education system is not effective
- Traveling should be more affordable
Tips for Effective Persuasive Essay
Before writing any type of academic paper, it is important to select the topic, and this type of essay is not the exception. There is a pool of subjects to choose from.
Discover the steps on how to write a wonderful essay!
1.Support Each Statement with Evidence
Try to find only the most relevant and up-to-date sources to use in your persuasive essay. Choose only those sources that are no older than 5 years old. Check if they are credible. It is better to pick:
- Scientific magazines
- Fiction books
- Scientific videos
In other words, play with facts instead of someone's subjective point of view. Don’t steal words of other authors and never forget to put citations. At the end of your persuasive essay, put an annotated bibliography of all of the resources you have used.
2.Choose Your Audience
Being a college or university student, you'll see how important it is to understand your reader. Are you afraid of speaking in public and feel you cannot say a word? Writing a persuasive essay for a particular audience is the best method to get rid of this social fear. Let yourself take a few minutes to think about who your target audience is. Would like to write your papers for young people or adults? Answer the question and start writing with our audience in mind.
3. Choose Online Help Wisely
You may consider using various online essay samples or writing help services if you've got stuck with your topic. Be careful when selecting the services you contact and check them for a privacy guarantee.
Don't forget that any argumentative essay sample you'll find on the web will need a full rewriting in order to skip plagiarism. Check every word for grammar mistakes. If you decide to trust your essay to online writing services, make sure that those are trustful and will not take the money for the bad quality product.
4.Use Your Best Skills to Convince
If you want your persuasive essay really to convince your audience in the correctness of your argument, write only that you are expert in. Be ready that you may be asked to prepare quality presentations to support your basic paper. The truth is that in order to impress your readers and make them interested in your research. Mind the list of skills you’ll need!
5. Present Information Visually
A persuasive speech needs a humorous intro, motivational message of the true leader, excellent visual content, and sales promotion. Don’t be afraid to be original and put some unusual ways to show information in your persuasive essay.
Why Do Structure & Writing Style Matter?
The whole persuasive speech essay should be cited with respect to one of these formats: Turabian, Chicago, Harvard, or other referencing styles. If you are not sure which one is best to use, ask one of your teachers or check the instructions that were given to you. Use online databases to find more information on how to use all of the styles and when and where these are appropriate.
Writing styles don’t always fit into every situation. Some types of essay require specific style and structure, while some are more flexible.
Make Other Students Agree with Your Viewpoint
A good persuasive essay has to reflect your compelling personality with unparalleled passion and unusual perspective. You might be interested in increasing your paper's chances to win (if speaking about different contests), improving content's efficiency through editing, or preparation a regular Biology or Management speech essay to earn "A."
If you are not sure how to convince others in your ideas, learn more about speech techniques and methods of presentation yourself to others.
Do you experience any problems with the work process?
If you want to ask, "What should I do a persuasive speech on" or get immediate help, choose professional academic services that guarantee privacy, fast delivery of your ideas to masses in the shortest terms, sharing your passions, and making your audience feel respect and appreciation for your paper. Contact our service immediately to impress your tutor and peers with incredible convincing speech essay!