- Definition Essay Topics for Your Excellent Academic Writing
- What is a Definition Essay?
- What Is the Difference between Definition and Definition Essay
- Tips on Choosing Definition Essay Topics
- 100 Definition Essay Topics
- Extended definition essay
- Heroes Definition Essay
- Love Definition Essay
- Beauty Definition Essay
- Family Definition Essay
- Happiness Definition Essay
- Freedom Definition Essay
- Definition Essay Topics for College
- Definition Argument Essay Topics
- Good Definition Essay Topics
- Extra Topics
- How to Write a Definition Essay
- Definition Essay Outline
- Definition Essay Examples
- Need Help?
If you’re trying to find the most flashy definition essay topics or how to do my paper, you’re in the right place. This text includes more than 100 topic examples for you only to choose the most appropriate one. Also, you can find a helpful set of recommendations on definition essay writing in this article alongside with definition essay samples. Let’s get it started!
What is a Definition Essay?
A definition of this academic writing sounds like a tautology. A definition essay is an academic writing that serves as a detailed dictionary entry, which takes a minimum of half of a page long. These days dictionaries provide brief explanations of words. Definition essays extend them.
Add some vivid examples from real life and supporting evidence to define the essay after precise description of the target term. Experts recommend developing this paper on a word that belongs to one of given groups:
- Without a common meaning
- With multiple meanings
It is not a good idea to write a definition essay on words with narrow, specific meanings like “bread” or “bed.” Try something broad instead. Choose words like “freedom” or “beauty” for interpretation.
Definition essay provides you with the possibility of unveiling all possible meanings of these terms, including personal interpretation; add examples from personal experience, and share other people’s opinions. The 1st thing to include in your definition essay is an official dictionary’s explanation.
Usually, such an assignment is not complicated to write these days. It is smaller than any other type of writing task; it has a single goal – explain what this term stands for, and it requires no arguments for convincing your audience in your position. That is how such an essay can take one whole page.
What Is the Difference between Definition and Definition Essay
That is quite a logical question, and many students don’t understand why to write a whole text on definition. The difference between them is as follows.
A definition is a short and most commonly used explanation of a term, notion, or phenomenon. A corresponding essay provides deeply detailed information, all possible explanations of a term with its denotative and connotative meanings. It also provides an explanation of the term's usage and meanings in different contexts.
Tips on Choosing Definition Essay Topics
Choosing a topic is not an easy task, especially for such a specific assignment. If choosing a definition essay topic is up to you, try to do the following:
- Think of the class you need this paper for
- Brainstorm and write down any ideas
- You may also think of exciting issues you have discussed in class
- Write down up to 5-10 terms and choose the one
- Make research on choosing topic to find out whether there is enough information to complete your task
- If your topic is too broad, you may discuss only some definitions, its collocations, or its use in a specific context.
100 Definition Essay Topics
This article will include some of the great writing ideas to discuss & explain in this kind of academic writing but first take a look at some writing ideas Check through this excellent definition essay topics list divided into several categories for easier perception.
Extended definition essay
Several medical symptoms of a healthy appetite.
True friendship compared to hostility these days.
Do people in the United States know what freedom is?
Measures of punishment associated with caring parents.
Proves that the government and FBI violate our right to privacy.
Bad coach and adverse consequences of improper training.
Five factors that determine whether a person can be called modest.
Laziness and effective ways of overcoming this bad habit.
Generosity: Who can be considered generous in the modern world?
Self-assurance, self-control, self-development – what’s in common?
Heroes Definition Essay
- Traits of a true hero: Analyzing Superman, Iron Man, and some other guys.
- Difference between courage and stupidity.
- War hero and Civil hero.
- What is a heroic deed?
- Who can be a hero?
- Do heroes exist in peace times?
Love Definition Essay
- Adoration, desire, and respect – qualities of love.
- Oxford American Dictionary interpretation of love.
- Love is not another fairy tale with no adverse manifestations.
- Eternal, powerful, never-ending, undefined feeling of love.
- Harmonization of personality through mutual love and respect.
- Love as the strongest and most unexplored feeling in the world.
- Are same-gender relationships destroying the concept of love?
- How do most modern teenagers define the concept of platonic love?
- Can young people aged 16 or less fall in love and save this feeling forever?
- Is it possible to love several people of the opposite gender at the same time?
- Love between man and woman compared to love between people of the same gender.
- The way your parents define love (make the difference between love and passion).
Beauty Definition Essay
- Different interpretations of beauty as compared to ugliness these days.
- Healthy living: difference between bad and good habits.
- Where lies the line dividing beauty and ugliness?
- Outside and Inside beauty of a person.
- What is the difference between beauty of different genders?
Family Definition Essay
- Size of a small, medium, and big family.
- Family is a pillar of society, so it makes it valuable.
- Is it possible to call a single parent a complete family?
- Official interpretations of “family” from different dictionaries.
- Can far-far-away relatives be considered part of a family?
- Factors that can make strangers better parents than your native.
- Spending a perfect summer with a family: Description with details.
- Are same-gender families destroying the institution of marriage?
- Factors that predetermine a happy marriage, which will last for a while.
- A family is a group of people that includes parents, kids, and relatives – Agree/Disagree.
Happiness Definition Essay
- Defining happiness and several other controversial topics.
- The best definite statements offered to describe happiness.
- The way each human defines happiness: A universal meaning.
- Can we say that money and other material goods make one happy?
- Several theories used to describe feelings of happiness these days.
- How do modern adolescents identify feelings of happiness these days?
- Happiness, kindness, excitement, and other positive psychologies these days.
- Happiness as a fundamental right for US citizens that preoccupied their minds.
- Religious, biological, and philosophical/psychological basis of happiness these days.
- What makes happiness: living with a person you love having no material goods or living with a rich person without having sympathy?
Freedom Definition Essay
- Freedom in the eyes of the 1st-year college student.
- Being free VS being happy: Are these two interrelated?
- Meaning of freedom to people who work in factories.
- What courage means to different types of people these days?
- Freedom for all: Does every human being deserve to be free?
- General meanings of freedom discovered in various dictionaries.
- How come some prisoners are not eager to become free again?
- Life, liberty, and justice — words related to “freedom”.
- How should the US government interpret the meaning of freedom?
- Defining freedom with the help of the Constitution of the United States.
- Essence of freedom and independence in American society these days.
- Rock’n’roll, democracy, anarchy, and other words associated with freedom of choice.
Definition Essay Topics for College
- Describing success as an example of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.
- Respect: based on what your granny told you.
- Loyalty grabbed from the stories of McDonald’s customers.
- Which features should a true friend possess to trust him/her?
- Nature of hate: Is it the most destructive feeling in the world?
- How come some people living in poverty call it comfort?
- Worthy job: Factors that influence employee’s satisfaction.
- Skills and experience a qualified college professor should possess.
- Necessity of the second language (Spanish, French, or German?).
- College degree: How it matters in the life of each student.
- Winning college application: Magic words to impress admission officers.
- Mobile apps for education and video games to speed up the learning process.
Definition Argument Essay Topics
- Things every employee should contribute to development of social responsibility.
- Several arguments to define whether last elections were fair or not.
- Factors that lead to obvious racial segregation in the United States.
- Death penalty.
- Cheating on examinations and tests: Something out of control.
- Massive murders: Causes, outcomes, and prevention measures.
- Cigarette smoking: Healthcare professionals speaking on this problem.
- Using cell phones and other electronic devices in class: Two sides of a coin.
- English as an official language in the United States.
- Creationism: Reasons why it may become a new school subject.
Good Definition Essay Topics
- Traits that make a university professor a field expert.
- Living with a roommate on campus: Features that make him/her good.
- Factors that predetermine excellent emotional health.
- Anti-Semitism and other controversial religions of the world.
- Things in our life that can be characterized as humanely.
- Interpret “phase” in relation to homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures.
- Acting and pretending: Hints to detect a pretender.
- Explain the meaning of words: onomatopoeia, assonance, and alliteration.
- Defining and describing several movements in contemporary art.
- Male chauvinism and the way feminists perceive it.
- Importance of time management in college and at your workplace.
- Factors that may lead young people to depression.
- Having a sense of humor: Pros & cons of joking in various life situations.
- Traits a human should possess to be called a good person.
- Team player and teamwork: signs of every member contributed to the common goal.
- Living to fulfill American Dream: possible waste of time.
- Political correctness as a tool to prevent various world conflicts.
- Methods used to achieve career goals in chosen fields.
- Dream career: Wages, conditions, working hours, and other features.
- Characteristics of a person who deserves to be called Great.
You have seen the most common samples of definition essay topics students choose when receiving the tasks. There is no limit as many definition essay writing terms have multiple, deep meanings and interpretations for your assignment.
The purpose is to select a term you feel comfortable with and which seems interesting to you. Avoid typical writing mistakes and pitfalls. You can become a writing artist with the help of your pen or computer only within several days!
How to Write a Definition Essay
After you have come up with your definition essay topics, let’s take a quick tour on how to write a definition essay. A teacher may give several words to discuss to make the definition essay writing longer. Select complex terms with a broad definition. They should possess a long history and exciting origins – come up with a whole 1-page story for your writing.
One cannot explain a complicated term with multiple meanings in a sentence or two without sharing vivid examples. Even a whole paragraph may not be enough to share the entire sense.
Profound writing may demand many words/phrases to describe them – that is when a teacher may give a specific assignment to class. Look at the detailed description of each section below.
No matter which of definition essay topics student picks, it works this way:
- Select a word for your definition essay to explain (avoid those you do not entirely understand), introduce it to your target reading audience. Primary purpose is to commence the contents of your text.
- Apply some primary sources (dictionaries, vocabularies, encyclopedias, textbooks) to see how the majority of the population tends to explain the chosen term. Combine/merge the offered explanations during writing.
- Reveal selected term while writing a definition essay introduction.
- Deliver detailed information about chosen term(s) in 2-3 body paragraphs (similar to 5-paragraph essay), logically united with the help of various transition words. Stress any typical mistakes in other meanings of the term.
- Decide on several sound examples to depict and interpret the explanation of your own.
Definition Essay Outline
Even though the definition essay is smaller than other paper types, it may still have an outline. The volume of writing depends on the complexity of the chosen term or phrase. Choose a whole phrase, idiom, or proverb to talk about in your text, and remember: some words are genuinely logical and straightforward to explain.
Simultaneously, some writing demands in-depth research and investigation to formulate an exact representation of their meaning. Definition essay should stick to the following structure:
- Body paragraphs (2-3 paragraphs)
- Works Cited (usually, formatted in MLA)
Definition Essay ExamplesAre you looking for some great definition essay examples? Here they are!
When you face difficulties accomplishing definition essay writing, there is room to turn for help. You can buy a definition essay. Our writing service can provide you with all kinds of any academic writing assignment. Order a report, proposal, or any other project on your taste.
Our loyal policy will leave you pleasantly satisfied. It is crucial to choose professional assistance offered by one of the time-checked online writing services. Our service can provide you with excellent results. Place an order once sharing writing instructions on your assignment, and get a complete assignment worth of A!