Lots of students and not only them struggle with that terrifying writer's block thing. It may strike you right before you even start writing or just in the middle of the writing process. There are also two reasons why students deal with those problems. Those students don't have knowledge on how to overcome writer block or they don't know how to write their essays. In this article, our essay writing company tries to share various tips on how to deal with writer's block and how to write your essay. So, let's start.
What Is a Writer's Block
So, what is the writer's block? In general, it is the state of being unable to starts and/or complete the piece of writing due to some reasons. Most of students have faced this issue but did not know its definition. While some consider is a serious state that needs to be addressed, others think it's just a myth or a type of procrastination.
Causes of Writer's BlockNow that you know what the writer's block it, it would be wise to find out what may cause it. Such information will help you prevent situations when you got stuck at writing an important paper. So, there are the most common causes of the writer's block:
- Perfectionism. You like everything you do to be perfect but are afraid that you'll not be able to cope with your written task in an ideal way
- Lack of motivation. It might be either internal or external
- Excessive self-criticism. You think you are bad in writing although it is most likely not true. At this point, focus on positive sides.
- Fear of comparison with other students or writers. You are afraid of writing worse than others which is a baseless fear as you have your individual style.
- Wrong time. It might be just wrong time when you're overloaded with other task. Just wait for the right time!
Ineffective Strategies for Overcoming Writer's BlockIn case you have just understood that you have got a writer's block. Here is a list of strategies that don't work. These are approaches that will not help you get inspired and improve your productivity:
- doing nothing and waiting for the inspiration to come
- making excuses for yourself and saying it's not your fault and that you can do nothing with is
- hanging out with friend
- waiting for the right time to get started without doing anything
- spending days on the Internet or watching Netflix.
How to Overcome Writer's Block. Effective Strategies
So, how to deal with it? We have prepared a list of great strategies that will help you fix your blocked skills. First of all, you should not get discouraged with your writer's block syndrome. It happens to a vast range of writers all over the world, and you are not the last one. It doesn't matter if you write your essay, make some Photoshop stuff or write a letter to your friend. You don't know where to start, and there is an obstacle between your thoughts and the action. Here are few main ways how to overcome writer block.
1. Have a Rest
No matter what you are writing and no matter how close is the deadline, just step away from your task for a while. Your creative flow is not endless and perpetual; you can deal with it. Not coffee, snacks, energy drinks or anything else will help you to reload your creativity. Try to change your activity and do something else. You can lie on a couch and stare at the window or wash your dishes. The main idea is to change your activity and give your brain a break not make you feel frustrated. It means no brain activity! Don't grab your phone and surf your social media; it will exhaust you even more. Try to relax or to work with your hands. The key idea is to have clear head.
Freewriting is another saving method to overcome writer's obstacle. Give yourself 15 minutes to write anything you want and do it with no thoughts about the consequences. Don't think about punctuation and grammar, just grab your topic and free your mind. Let your thoughts flow. Step away from the routine. This will free your creativity and let your real thoughts speak.
Do not ignore the movement. Your body should move to make the blood flow properly and feed your brain. The problem often comes when the brain does not get its proper feeding. Turn up the volume, feel the sound, and dance to your favorite tune, work out a bit or practice yoga. This will relax your body and your brain too.
4. Get Rid of All Distractions
This is the most dangerous cause of writer's block appearance. It is harder to do in case you are working with your computer while there are lots of distracting websites and social media, but you should overcome your need to surf the Internet. There are various apps that stop some certain websites, and you can set the settings to make your working process more peaceful and less distractive.
5. Wake up Early to Write
Lots of experts say that it is useful to write early in the morning. Well, this statement is not working if you go to bed late after midnight. We consider this step to be optional if you write an essay or any other paper.
6. Sleep Before Writing
Another tip about sleeping before you write again. Some people prefer going to sleep with their problem in mind. For example, you are writing your article and got the problem. Then, go to bed from the moment you stopped and fall asleep while thinking about the problem solution. The next day write down the first idea you have.
7. Get Some HelpWhen you really can not work on the piece of writing, you may contact your friends. Friends can either inspire you or help with your work. Another way to get help is to look for academic writing assistance. Such online services have professional writers who will find words to write your essay, story, or project. And they do not have writer's blocks. You will not need to sit and think how to write your paper.
8. Just Start WritingAnother approach is simple. Just take a pen and start writing everything that comes to your mind regarding the topic. It might be short or long. It does not matter. Remember, just write your draft. And at some point, you may get interested in one of your notes and get enthusiasm to elaborate on that issue. Remember what Hemingway said? Write drunk, edit sober.
9. Read Your Favourite Story.
Try rereading your favourite book, stories, article, long read, etc. Reading favourite books or writes can help you boost the feeling of inspiration to imitate their style and create similar content.
10. Secret Weapon Against Writer's Block
And the last one would be the most powerful weapon against writer's block. It may seem weird, but people say it works. You need to fill up a glass of water or whatever you want (don't make it too hard) and drink half the water. You can speak anything about your writing problem or think about its solution and then go to bed. In the morning, drink the rest of water in the glass and go straight to your computer or desk to write new ideas after having a good sleep.
11. PlayHave some fun and play your favourite games, those that you could play for months or even years when you were a child. It can be Lego, PSP, Sims, GTA, etc. It doesn't matter. The main fact is that you should get some fun, joy, and relax. It's a great cure. After you've relaxed and did things you like, you'll have more motivation
12. Deny and Just WriteAnother helpful approach is to pretend that the writer's bloc does not exist. Just sit, put away all your doubts, and write. Be the author and the editor of your own behaviour and life. Don't talk too much, just do.
13. Find the Main Cause and Eliminate ItOne more strategy is to identify the main reason why you can't write. Spend some time on, finding that cause, try to understand why it disturbs you, think of the ways out and try them out. Learn to work with your feelings and emotions.
How to Write Your Perfect Essay
And another problem for essay authors is simple blank in their writing knowledge. You're sitting at your desk or laptop with no idea where and how you should start? Well, there are few points to that one. Here are few main points you should know before starting your essay. Don't ignore them and your paper will be just perfect.
- Start. You should be prepared to face the difficulties and the situation when your facts will be too weak. You should get as many solid facts as possible. Start your research early to write with no rush. This is especially useful when you write your dissertation.
- Topic. Your topic should be very clear and easy for you to understand and to write about. Also, it should be interesting and enough for the reader. If you have a personal interest in the topic, it will be easier for you to make it interesting for your reader.
- Introduction. This is the place where everything begins. You should present your topic and the subject of the entire paper. Get your essay's goal and your personal goal right here. But, do not write too much; leave your arguments for the next part.
- The Body. The body paragraphs may seem to be the most important ones. And they really are. Here is the place for you to present your facts and analysis at its best. Just get everything done properly and present the formatting clearly with no gaps left.
- The Conclusion. This is a usual part of any essay, and it is some kind of a summary of the entire text the reader read before. You should also make some stresses for the points that are the most important for the topic and your analysis.
While dealing with multiple writing tasks students often get stuck right on the start of their future masterpiece. To beat this problem and get the professional 24/7 help just fill in our order form and we will rescue you from any troubled situation.