If you are a student, you have to write a lot. You might get many writing assignments of different types and complexity. And the rhetorical analysis essay paper is one of them. To be honest, it is one of the most complicated tasks. In order to succeed with it, you should write an extended essay based on the analytical work with a particular text and taking into consideration all writing and rhetorical devices and styles. You will have to prove that you conducted an attentive reading and detailed analysis of the text. Only in this way, you will be able to show the reader your understanding of the rhetorical analysis essay text, the main thesis, and your sophisticated analysis. So how to write a better essay
Your text should contain details which help readers to understand what you have learned and what you try to tell them. When composing your rhetorical analysis essay, you can meet difficulties. Some students can ask for the help of professional writers. And they guarantee the result. But if you want to cope with this task by yourself, you can find some important and useful tips in this article. Don't miss them! Otherwise, you may waste time and efforts for writing your rhetorical analysis essay paper and get a low grade. Here are the most simple but effective pieces of advice you will definitely benefit from.
Tips for Writing an Effective Rhetorical Analysis Essay
In other words, the rhetorical analysis essay is an explanation about how the author changed the minds of his readers. A well-designed text of the rhetorical analysis essay demonstrates the writer's understanding of the main thesis as well as the interplay of the rhetorical triangle. What does it mean?
- Author's purpose - you should be able to answer the question of what does the author want to say;
- Target audience - find out who is the targeted audience. It defines the methods and writing styles;
- Effective strategy - when you know the purpose of writing a rhetorical analysis essay and the target audience, you will have an opportunity to determine the rhetorical analysis essay strategy which could be effective.
If you get an AP rhetorical analysis task, the instructor will give you a kind of complete argument from a text that was published. Obviously, the author of the text would have a purpose, objective and targeted audience. You should analyze them and give an explanation of why the author of the text has chosen the particular strategies. You'll have to demonstrate your own understanding of the process.
Key Recommendations for the Best Rhetorical Analysis Essay
Check how what you should do to achieve the desired success in writing a rhetorical analysis essay.
- Always begin with the Rhetorical Triangle. First of all, identify the purpose of the author. Then recognize the target audience of the text. And finally, determine the main strategies;
- Determine the strategic intent of the author. The writer always has a particular purpose. And he chooses every writing method, every word detail precisely and carefully. Because they all matter. You should find out how the word and writing style choices affect the reader. Has the author achieved the goal?
- Remember two main questions when writing a rhetorical analysis essay: "how?" and "why?". Both of them are quite important. Always think about what the author says and how he does it. In which way a word choice influences the audience's feelings?
- Check high-quality rhetorical analysis essay examples. It is better to see once than to hear one hundred times. So, check credible resources and ask to provide you with a good essay paper sample.
Distinguish a structure
Proper structure of the rhetorical analysis essay is a big deal when it comes to writing assignments. A rhetorical analysis essay is not an exception. Choose the right rhetorical analysis essay structure, and you will have an opportunity to express thoughts in a logical sequence and stick to one logical chain. It is important for the writing pieces which require a detailed analysis of other texts. When you are preparing a rhetorical analysis essay, you have to write about writing. And without a strict and correct structure, there is a possibility of failure.
You'd better choose the classic structure of the rhetorical analysis essay with five or six paragraphs, an introduction, and the conclusion. It will allow you to show all your rhetorical analysis essay writing skills and your studying of all the author's unique writing style, as well as devices and strategies which he used to persuade the rhetorical analysis essay reader and to get proper feedback.
A Sample Rhetorical Analysis Outline
Rhetorical analysis is distinguished by its versatility, as it covers the whole work, oral or written, from the analysis of discourse (the flow of life, the situation that gave rise to this statement) to the choice of words. A sample analysis plan of how to write a rhetorical analysis essay is as follows.
- General characteristics of the text: oral or written, type of eloquence - political, judicial, business document, poetic work.
- Genre and substantive embodiment: a letter, a lecture, an inscription on a wall, a speech at a rally, a telegram, a performance, a monologue in a performance, etc.
- Content characteristics: life story, text of the law, conversation of friends, story about events, landscape picture (description), etc.
- Analysis of the discourse: the situation of life, events before and, possibly, after, who speaks, to whom, for what purpose, under what circumstances, etc.
- What is known about the author, the level of his intellect, spiritual warehouse?
- Who is the intended addressee, at what level of perception and understanding is the statement-oriented, etc.?
- What stylistic key is the text built in (style, its variety), by what means is the stylistic identity expressed?
- Composition, construction of speech work, plot lines, etc.
- Characteristics of rhetorical means: figures, paths, phraseology, aphorisms, monologues and dialogues, archaisms, etc.
- Compliance with the norms of the culture of speech, the requirements of the literary language. Features of the author's style of speech.
- If possible - information about the perception of the text, the extent of its impact on readers and listeners, different interpretations, assessments, the influence of the work on the development of science, the arts, culture (theatrical and cinematographic interpretations, the creation of paintings, the use of the plot or images by other authors, etc. ).
- The answer to three questions: “What the author wanted to say?”; “What did he/she say?”; “What did the author say unintentionally?”
- Pick up ten different texts. Practice verbally in their rhetorical analysis. Then select one of the texts and complete its analysis in writing: you will get a coherent composition such as analysis, or annotation, or review. You may be able to headline it, work out internal connections, and introduce expressive means.
- Imagine yourself a journalist, speaker, lawyer, prime minister, theater critic, circus clown ... Enter the role, try to fulfill your functions, as in a role-playing game. Repeat this exercise as often as possible, first without witnesses.
An Introduction to the Rhetorical Analysis Essay
It is the most important part of any writing assignment. Here are some tips on how you can make it good:
- Make sure that the reader of the rhetorical analysis essay understands that you are performing an analysis essay, but not another writing piece. In other ways the reader will estimate it incorrectly;
- You should clearly give some background information if you feel that the audience may not be aware of it. Just provide some summary to create the necessary atmosphere;
- Give some basics of the whole situation. Name the author, his target audience, the main purpose and the thesis or context, etc.
Thesis Statements and The Focus Of The Essay
- There are authors who have problems with the main thesis statements when writing analysis essays. In order to avoid them, you should give your reader a more direct explanation and clearer statements.
- Always narrow the focus on which your text will be based. Give an analytical treatment to the most interesting and complicated arguments and statements. Distinguish the purpose and analyze the main techniques which were used to achieve it. The thesis of the text must reflect its goal.
- Rhetorical analysis essay texts always apply to arguments and techniques which are used for delivering statements to the reader. The main task is to find out how the author of the text transmit his thoughts to the reader and how he can get a result from the audience.
The way of organizing the body paragraphs of the essay depends on the purpose, size, and genre of the text which is analyzed. There are several options for the organizational rhetorical analysis essay structure which you can apply when writing an essay.
Spatial organization structure
If you use this organizational order, you should explain the parts of the rhetorical analysis essay as they can be seen on the page in the strict order. And you should tell about them one after another.
A Rhetorical Analysis Essay: Chronological Organization Structure
It is another rhetorical analysis essay organization structure that can be used for writing a rhetorical analysis essay. It is the best, the most straight and understandable approach. It is known as quite effective. But be careful when using such chronological ordering if you are writing about the narrative text. You can meet some problems. If you focus on the chronological presentation of the rhetorical analysis essay arguments, it could easily lead you to tell the plot of the text which is not that you are actually expected to do.
Choose among Persuasive Rhetorical Arguments
You know that the classical arguments are ethos, pathos, and logos. They are based on different elements of the human's mind. So these arguments apply to the ethics, emotions and logic. According to this division, the author of the text chooses the persuasive statements and builds the thesis statement.
The conclusion of the analysis essay should be clear and short. It is the final part of your writing. So you should make it eye-catching. You should show the result of your investigation, name the most important persuasive arguments and tell if they are correlated with the writing style, writing methods and strategies and the tone of the text. It's better to end your text with the final rhetorical appeal of the author. And don't forget to check your essay for mistakes!
As you can see the rhetorical analysis essay is not an easy task. After reading all the tips, you would cope with it. But you need to get some practice. If you have no opportunity to write such a complicated writing piece by yourself, you can ask for help. Professional writers with great experience will ensure the high-quality of the essay, and you will not have to worry about anything.
Require academic assistance? – Get it right here and right now!