In the modern world, very often we hear complaints or complain ourselves about the lack of time. We work from morning to the evening, but still, feel that we haven’t done anything, even though we had a whole day. At that moment, you know that you need to make changes in your life.
That’s when the time management comes in play which will help you not only to free some time for important things but also complete more tasks in a day. So how to manage time better? In this article, you’ll find the answer.
Top 5 Mistakes In Time Management
In order to be able to manage time better, you need to know which mistakes you made before. Here is the list of the most common mistakes we all make.
- Not prioritizing. Many people don’t set priorities for themselves and as a result, they fail to do things they planned or wanted to do because they spent their precious time on something else. If you want to avoid it, you’re going to make a list of important priorities and use it daily.
- Procrastination. We all know what it is. Many of us had a long list of tasks to do, but instead of actually doing them, we just surfed the Internet or had some rest on the couch. Preparing for exams, for example. Well, relaxing from sometimes is important. But procrastinating is different from having rest. In order to procrastinate less, you have to notice every time when you do so. Also, try to dedicate a specific amount of time per each task.
- Multitasking. That’s another bad habit of a modern person. Some people think that if they do many tasks at once, they will succeed. The truth is that it doesn’t work like that. The quality of your work will get only worse if you multitask. Try to focus on one thing at a moment. Only in some cases use multitasking to complete your tasks better.
- Not Tracking Your Time. Even if you work on implementing time management habits, you might miss one important thing — keeping track of all of your activities. Try to stick to the plan you made for the day, and if something goes in a different way, make changes and correction to your schedule.
- Letting distractions ruin your work routine. Whenever you work on something, pay attention to the task. Turn off your phone and use the Internet only to get the work done.
Tips How To Manage Your Time Better
Here is a list of tips and recommendations that will help you improve your time management skills and complete all of your tasks faster.
- Understand where and on what you are spending your resources the most. Think about which activities take the most of your time that could have been spent much more productively. Very often we don’t even realize that one thing was wasting our time that much.
After you find out on what you waste your time the most, cut it out from your day. You don’t want to keep losing your resources on things that don’t let you do your work, so work on eliminating them and substituting with better activities. Writing a list of such things would also help.
- Create a daily plan. It’s something really simple and takes not much time from your day, but many people ignore this habit. The night before the next day, sit down and write out a plan of what you are going to do during the workday. Set how many hours of sleep you want to have, which assignments you would like to complete, where you would have to go.
Mention how much time you’re going to spend on all of it. The good thing about this habit is that it’s simple, helps you manage yourself better, and you can start using it today already. After doing this for some time, move to making plans for a whole week.
- Many college students postpone completing the assignments until the deadline comes. If you have a list of assignments due soon, don’t wait until the deadline comes. Start doing them prior to the deadline. If it’s an essay, plan it out and start writing a part of it every day. Make sure you leave some time for editing and proofreading using services like Kibin.
If you’re working on a research paper, do the same thing, but also plan your research ahead: where and when you are going to go through materials. Plan how much time you’re going to spend on each task you have, even the small one. Set dates for when you should finish your task. Your goals are to manage your time better in every aspect of life, and it includes your studies as well.
- Learn how to say no. Very often many things don’t let you finish your tasks and manage yourself effectively, and these include going out, movies, TV shows, etc. That’s fine to go to the coffee shop from sometimes and chat with your friends, and not when you put important tasks away to do that. Whenever you know that it’s best for you to stay and keep working, don’t hesitate and do it. You will always have time to see your friends.
A Few Last Words About Time Management
Well, being able to manage time effectively is the skill that has to be gained with efforts and practice. Add time management skills to your life, and you will be able to manage more things on a daily basis. As Alan Lakein said, “Time = life; therefore, waste your time and waste of your life, or master your time and master your life.”
You will be able to break away from procrastination and multiple distractions only if you work on yourself every day. All you need to do is to work on ways to manage your life better. And if you know that you don’t have enough time on some tasks or papers, feel free to trust the paper writing services to do that.