What is an annotated bibliography? The writer not always understands what exactly he should do. Often authors don’t even understand the main point. What does an annotated bibliography look like? It is not easy to get the main purpose correct. If you didn’t deal with writing annotated bibliography before, you would need a helping hand for sure. It is due to the fact that this kind of work doesn’t look similar to essays or other academic papers. When creating this type of paper you will gain completely new writing experience.
Our service gives you a few simple but helpful tips on how to do an annotated bibliography that will help you to deal with your task. There is a lot to do with formatting in this situation. What is an annotated bibliography, its formatting, and requirements for this type of academic writing? All these and even more we are going to discuss in this article. Do not waste your time seeking for some cheap tricks and get yourself prepared with our help. We are here to make your life easier with our simple tips that really work.
What is an annotated bibliography and how to cite the right way?
Before you start, you are recommended to check on writing this kind of paper. What is an annotated bibliography? It is a simple list of citations. These citations are about any documents. It is great to use articles and books. The best way to do a citation is to get a short description. It is called annotation. Its purpose is informative. With its help, the reader will know all the points he or she needs to know about your citation.
Annotated bibliography definition
A few more words about the annotated bibliography definition. This type of work is about listing citation a writer took from different sources. It may be books, articles, various files, and documents. The writer should use about 150 words for a brief and informative description of each citation. It is called annotation. Its goal is to inform the reader about the purpose, value, and relevancy of the cited sources. What does an annotated bibliography look like in real life? Let’s find this out.
How to write an annotated bibliography step by step
A bibliography paper is a kind of assignment, which should be done in accordance with a clear and concise plan. It is difficult to make it logical and informative if not following certain consequence of steps. Let’s start with a brief listing of how to write an annotated bibliography step by step:
- Do research. It is of the utmost importance. Look for different opinions on the chosen topic.
- Read sources and take notes. Take into account that only credible sources can be used. Avoid using facts from the sources, which credibility you doubt.
- Consider the main ideas of the source: You will definitely succeed if being able to make an emphasis on the most valuable points.
- Note your questions: Make it clear for the reader what questions you have had at the very beginning and how you have managed to answer them in the course of work.
- Choose useful citations. Check the rules for writing citations before you get started.
- Summarize them. Be clear and concise when summarizing all the points.
- Evaluate in your paper. Provide evaluation, which will be useful for your reader.
At the initial stage of writing, you may need some solid focus on the sources that have been used in your work. It is not enough just to learn how to write an annotated bibliography. It is a job for an experienced writer with developed skills. The writer should have analytical, researching, exposition, instructor skills on the proper level. To make the best annotation, you should summarize the main topic and direction of the source.
What an annotated bibliography includes
It is clear that you need to list all the citations you used in your article. But what does an annotated bibliography include more? Let us list all the ingredients of APA annotated bibliography format and other types:
- Citation itself
- It's source
- Author’s name and data
- A brief explanation of the source
Annotated bibliography outline
Lots of students who don’t even realize what does an annotated bibliography look like, ask if they need to create an annotated bibliography outline. You can consider this stage as the starting stage when creating this piece of writing. Here are a few main tips to consider:
- Locate all the citations you used from a source
- Record all those citations carefully
- Examine your records
- Use useful citations only
- Choose the style of citation as requested to your format
Purdue OWL APA annotated bibliography
Regarding Purdue OWL APA annotated bibliography instructions you need to use these features in your citations list:
- Author’s name.
- Source title.
- Container title.
- All the contributors.
- A version of the source.
- Number of versions
- Publisher of this very source you used.
- Date of the source release.
- Location where it was published.
Annotated bibliography APA template
Here is how your annotated bibliography APA style should look like:
- Write the name of the contributor. Add the last date of edit that can be found. Include the title of the source.
- Martin, E., Steward, F., Broderick, R., Monroe, P., Mendes, N., Mykolayenko, S., Berger, (2018, April 10). General format.
MLA annotated bibliography
According to expert guides, you need to cite your source (book, article or document edition) using appropriate format. MLA annotated bibliography is one of the most popular styles students use in their works. For all of those formats, there are main things you need to include in your list.
MLA format was created by the Modern Language Association. This format of writing can be very tricky. You can meet it in various paper tasks during your education period.
You need to provide the citation and then describe it using this simple annotated bibliography example:
As Gerald F. Panned said, it is very easy to identify corruption by “greed, incompetence, fear, lack of comprehension, and solid feel of disgust” (8).
Panned, Gerald F. Material Life of Phantom Fears. Knopf, 1978.
A guide on Chicago Style annotated bibliography
Please be clear that while providing your citation in Chicago style annotated bibliography, you should not interrupt your text. You can use a descriptive approach. State the main features of your source and its author.
Consider making your list very descriptive, and it should not be brief. This will help your reader not to lose the main strain of your article. Those writers who are dealing with this citation format should be patient as their assignment is not the easiest one. The author of the paper should consider footnotes to be extremely important. Those notes are crucial if one wants to make his paper correct.
Each moment there is a reference created, there should be a note made. Even if it is just a paraphrase of references and not a complete citation, there should be a note left. The writer is free to add footnotes at the end of a page or place them in a separate part of the paper. The nature of the source does not really matter.
Chicago annotated bibliography example
Here is how the writer should create Chicago annotated bibliography:
Dreg, Mary, Frederic Cobourg. “The power of a Child. It's Influence on Parents, 2001 – 2009.” Journal of Modern Family Values Researches 46, no. 6 (2010): 376-378.
Here two popular scientists Mary and Cobourg discus the main problem of modern families. The influence on parents by children in a complex society and open globalization processes. They analyze the main purpose of childfree movement using research data from modern family problems and values.
The description of this extract can be even three times longer.
Turabian annotated bibliography
Turabian annotated bibliography has its own features and special details you need to reckon with. The description of the annotation in this style should be very informative and has a few main stages. The writer should use them in the right manner and tone. Make a break and consider one or two sentences for each stage.
- Citation itself
- Introduction to the general features
- Summary of the main idea
- The scope of valuable ideas
- Purpose of this very citation
- Usefulness to your research or topic
- The audience this citation was addressed to
Annotated bibliography topics and tips — Your source of inspiration
The main annotated bibliography topics are about:
Here is also a few tips about what is an annotated bibliography:
Want to compose a great annotated bibliography that will be evaluated positively? Then, check the most helpful tips below.
- Your focus should be really narrow. Do not try to cover everything about the source of your citation.
- You should deal with relevant and related sources only. Keep it in mind while researching.
- Get all the sources together and choose the most useful from the start.
- You should do a summary of the source and do its analysis. Do it to identify the relevant and really valuable additional information.
- The source should be used to support your narrowed topic.
- The body of your annotation should be very simple with no cheap wordiness.
- You should use the assigned format only. Wondering what does an annotated bibliography look like? Get through all possible instructions about the formatting of annotations.
Annotated bibliography example: Check citation rules
People say that it is better to see once than to hear one hundred times. It is exactly the case with the bibliography paper. Here is the last typical example of an annotated bibliography you should check to have a clear picture of how it must look like.
This very example used APA format and was created as an article citation:
White, Reeves L., Ferguson, (1997). The problem of modern youth identification regarding social networks and mass media influence. Mexican Sociology Reviewer, 35, 46-78.
The author of this research has a wide experience in the modern family and globalization topic. He uses data from the National Columbian University and his own researches for entries. There are few tests included in the entry. Young Columbian students were tested about their influences and use of modern technologies. Contemporary researches about the subject were ignored for the purity of the experiment. The hypotheses of the author were strongly supported by the results of the researches and tests. Modern youth are extremely influenced by their idols and friends from social media. Those results and conclusions were very important for this very article and my research. You are free to get more details from the article I was using in this work. All the citations support the main purpose of this paper and its solution regarding the existing problem.
Wishing for a magic writing solution? – We’ve got one for you
Get a price quote & proceed with your order!