Common Writing Mistakes That Can Spoil Any Essay
It is not so easy to create a proper essay on a particular subject. Plenty of students think that writing an essay is their educational routine and don’t try very hard. Unfortunately, such position leads to numerous terrible essays that don’t satisfy the requirements of the school system. The truth is that anyone can improve his writing just if he doesn’t make some standard errors. We want to help you to avoid regular and widespread mistakes in essay writing and bring your academic papers to the higher level.
Subject and text are crucial for any written essay or article. You should carefully search for a proper information, relevant data and good sources to write an upscale essay and satisfy even demanding professors. Moreover, you should avoid some widespread content mistakes.
- Content doesn’t match the topic. When you pick up a theme, make sure that it is actual and interesting for readers. First of all, start with your own research and read enough books and online sources. You should understand the major idea and be able to express your opinion about it. Write relevant vocabulary with principle words and expressions on topic and try to use them in your essay. Show the readers that you have knowledge in this field and your writing piece is worth of their attention.
- Wrong structure. Any proper essay has to include an introduction, main part, and conclusion. If you miss any component, it will have an insufficient look and won’t create a good impression. An introduction helps you to highlight the main point of your work and show its value to others. Don’t miss a chance to engage your readers and use appropriate phrases for it. The body of your essay has to be comprehensive and concept. Try to mention the research of the main subject, show different expert opinions if needed and explain your own viewpoint. Don’t forget about a conclusion. It helps readers to summarize the information they’ve just read, draw an inference and evaluate your writing piece. Learn more about decent essay structure.
- An absence of thesis statement. An essay without a thesis can’t express your ideas and arguments accurately. It helps readers to understand the major aim of your writing. But it is crucial to be sure that you have enough ideas to support and develop a thesis. Otherwise, your teacher and other readers won’t appreciate your efforts and value it at a low rate. Remember that you have to convince everyone of your rightness. Read some top-notch essays examples in different niches here.
Aside from good ideas, proper research and conclusions, you should pay close attention to your writing style and avoid a making of common mistakes.
- Repetitive words and expressions. This error is highly popular among students. You can repeat some words and phrases over and over again because you can’t find a clear way of speaking to express your thoughts. Word repetition makes any essay tiring and monotonous. Try to find words for each idea you want to explain and use synonyms. Thesaurus lets you find a proper term or expression and vary any writing piece.
- Informal or too formal writing. Don’t forget that academic writing requires for a specific glossary, especially if the subject is specialized and assumes plenty of terms. Slang expressions, such as wanna, gotta are forbidden for any academic paper. Try to explore particular vocabularies for your essay, but don’t go overboard and try to observe the necessary balance between formal and informal writing.
- Improper sentence structure. You should pay attention to sentence type and structure. For example, a passive voice sounds good to emphasize an action or result, but it also can lower the readability of your text. These sentences are more complicated in understanding and can reduce the overall value of your paper. Try to use no more than 20% of such sentences. Don’t forget to regulate a sentence length. Long and bulky sentences are not the best choices for the readable and exciting essay. But too compact size can give a false impression that you have not enough knowledge and can’t explain your ideas. Rotate short and long sentences and read your text aloud twice or thrice. You will feel if it sounds wrong.
Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation Mistakes
These types of errors are very popular among students. They try to write an engaging content, create a proper structure, make a deep research of the subject and convince readers of their rightness, but sometimes they forget about grammatical correctness. Even if you gave your professor comprehended and thorough essay, he wouldn’t value it highly if there are plenty of fundamental errors. It means that you have to edit your writing piece carefully. You can use effective professional services or be patient and learn some writing rules. Take a look at standard mistakes and try to avoid them in your academic paper.
- An introductory phrase is not separated with a comma.
- No comma before coordinating conjunction, such as nor, and, for, or, yet, but, if two parts could be sentences on their own.
- Missing a subject resulting in sentence fragments instead of complete sentences.
- Interrupters without commas.
- The absence of agreement between verb and subject.
Now you see that proofreading is crucial for any proper essay. If the author ignores these rules, he may cause plenty of troubles, mentioned in this article.
We tried to write about the most popular and weighty mistakes. If you make everything to minimize your writing blunders, your essay will rise to the higher level, and professors will evaluate it preferably. You should pay close attention to every aspect of the writing because essay content is as important as grammatical correctness. You have to learn plenty of rules and standards related to academic writing in case if you want to succeed in this field. Excellent essays are readable, engaging and can grab the attention of readers from the first words.
Follow these rules and try to strike a happy medium. Avoid too formal or too informal writing. Don’t forget about emotional part. You may tell about your experience, but don’t be too personal. Try to present all facts and actual data about the main subject. Moreover, content, stylish, spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes must be kept as small as possible. We hope our suggestions will improve your essays and help you to avoid common mistakes that can spoil a good work.